Friday, December 29, 2006

Review: Truth About Beauty: Transform Your Looks and Your Life from the Inside Out by Kat James and Oz Garcia

Update:
My not shopping even for groceries isn’t working lol because my husband is asking me to go to the store. I learned a lot of stuff this week though.
I can make burger buns with a bread machine and homemade yogurt but my blender margarine and yogurt cheese is not so good. I also waste way too much toilet paper. I have decided to use cute same colored rags for dusting and wipe downs and this has cut down paper waste. I will write a bigger article on echo cuteness later



It took me over a year to post this. I rewrote it many times.


Truth About Beauty: Transform Your Looks and Your Life from the Inside Out by Kat James and Oz Garcia
I wanted to like this book and it started out warm and witty but then it all falls apart
Some statements contradict each other and claim myth as fact. The science is long winded, makes the book boring at times is sometimes poorly researched. I found a good tip or two like using a water filter for your showers head.

1. Kat blasts the FDA for not approving Stevia as a food yet didn’t research why it wasn’t approved.
Here is the shocker of why Stevia is not approved as a food because it is according to mixed result studies as potentially cancer causing. The real question Kat should be asking is why isn’t allowed to have a warning label like Saccharin.
Stevia should not be consumed if one is pregnant especially if you want avoid impurities in diet. I am not saying boycott these things, I’ve eaten both saccharin and Stevia. Stevia tastes pretty good and I like saccharin because I am less likely to over indulge in it but research things before you accept bad info that the FDA is only out to keep your hearbs away from you. Remember tobacco is an herb.
2. Kat gives some very poor advice to people on low carb diets that will help them regain some of their weight. I do eat some low carb junk food but I know it’s junk she treats it as if it's natural food. If you want to lose the low carb way then limit what low carb junk food you eat because calories do matter.
3. She gives really bizarre advice on calories saying it’s the kind of calories you consume and not the calories themselves. This is a half truth. Calories still matter and you can over consume calories with healthy food you can gain weight. Some people need more calories some less. Kat contradicts this info with talk about the French diet. The French eat smaller portions.
4. Bottom line: Kat's and OZ's book isn’t all that natural.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dori said...

Interesting note on stevia. I use all the time.... where did you find your info to this?

I agree with a calorie is a calorie... healthy or not if you don't burn them they can increase yoiur weight.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

I did a search on stevia for a friend who uses a lot of it. I use it once in a while. It tastes better straight than saccrine does.

I confess I like to taste my sugar substitutes.

Article one
There Was a European study that said that stevia messed with fertility of rats.
http://www.bellaonline.com/ArticlesP/art31289.asp

Article 2
It's that study results are mixed that seem to be the heat while some studies say it's safe studies think it's a weak mutagen in concentrated form
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

10:02 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Thanks for the links. I'm glad I'm not a rat wanting to conceive. :)

Sorry to hear about your binge...new day, forget about it andmove on. :) I also make veggie soups and bran muffins. I agree with you about keeping veggies as free points... if you are gonna binge, keep it with something that will keep your regular.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

I just wanted to be honest with myself.
I should make more bram muffins.
I love veggies.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge More blogs about iportion.