Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Iportion Interview with Fitness Expert Paige Waehner
by VH Melville
Paige Waehner is an ACE certified personal trainer and freelance writer with more than ten years of exercise experience. She trains atHomebodies, Inc. in Westmont, IL as well as online at MyFitnessExpert.com. She runs the Exercise Blog at www.about.com

Iportion: Page, when did you start getting into fitness?
Paige Waehner: I've always been somewhat active, but I really got into fitness when I was in college and gained the 'Freshman 15.' I decided to get in shape and my older sister (who was a personal trainer at the time) taught me how to lift weights. I also bought some workout videos (Jane Fonda was popular then...I guess I'm aging myself) and I got hooked when I saw my body change. I've been at it ever since.


Iportion: What tip would you give out to people wanting to become a personal trainer?
Paige Waehner: The best tip I can think of would be to work with a personal trainer, if you haven't already done so. You can learn a lot about how personal training sessions work and what you would have to do while working with people one-on-one. That can help you decide if you really want to become a trainer yourself.

Iportion: What's your favorite junk food?
Paige Waehner: Cake! I'm a cake freak and can't have it anywhere near me or I'll eat the whole thing.

Iportion: I’m cake freak myself. I gained a lot of weight eating angel food cake. Now I make cakes in mini pans, and cupcake pans. I freeze them to try to help me with control.

Iportion: I reward myself for exercise? What is one thing you feel keeps people motivated to work out?
Paige Waehner: Setting small daily or weekly goals for yourself. When you have something to work for, you're more likely to stay on track. For example, each week, set a goal for what you want to accomplish. That might be 3 cardio workouts, getting a certain number of steps on a pedometer, trying a new yoga class in town or even taking more rest days than usual. The key is the make sure the goals are reachable.

Iportion: Page, what one tip would you give to someone who has just lost and wants to learn how to maintain their weight?Paige Waehner: Maintaining weight loss is all about consistency with both diet and exercise. You need to be following something that is sustainable for the long-term, so if you're following something you have to eventually go off of (like a specific diet or pill, etc.) you'll probably find it very difficult to maintain that weight loss without that diet or pill. If you're following a reasonable exercise program that fits with your life and a diet you enjoy eating and is healthy, but not too restrictive, you'll find that maintaining your weight comes a bit more naturally. It's finding that middle ground that's always tough!


Iportion: What's a low budget fitness tool or equipment you'd suggest getting?

Paige Waehner: An exercise ball. You can use it for a wide variety of exercises, so it's versatile and provides a lot of bang for your buck.

Iportion: I love my stability ball as well and I am shocked at how fun it is.

Iportion: What's your favorite high budget fitness tool or equipment?
Paige Waehner: This is a tough question. I don't think you need to spend a lot of money to get a great workout but, if you do want to buy something big (like a cardio machine), you should go with the activity you like the best. I would always recommend beginners start a program and try different things (if that's an option) before spending a lot of money on home equipment you're not sure you'll ever use.

Iportion: Page I’d like to thank you on behalf of iportion.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge More blogs about iportion.