Tuesday, April 11, 2006

School Lunch

School Lunch
By Vh Melville

Sometimes the school lunch is less healthy than the snack cakes but I think more kids would eat it if menus for school were looked over by a nutritionist and tested.
While I am not for banning whole milk for smaller children, I do think fruit juices, sugary sodas should be band or at least have a ten cent tax on them.
Snack cakes could be made to be lower sugar and lower fat. Cupcakes could be made with healthy oil, and fruit to lower fat content. Iced angel food cakes could be presented in fun shapes.
For older students the nutrition content should be listed on school menus.
Veggies could be on all pizzas. Fries can be baked instead of fried. Meat loaf could be made with turkey.
How about beans? Don’t laugh. Beans are not only cheap but can be tasty in soft tacos, bean burgers, wraps, sloppy Joes, chili dogs, meatless loafs, and gasp even in some snack cakes.
Don’t forget soups. Soups are a great way to get in vegetables even for kids who normally hate the green stuff.
Let them dig in and enjoy a balance of good food and treats.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I found a great vegan blog where she shares the lunches she fixes everyday for her schmoo. They look so yummy. Here it is http://www.veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

12:28 AM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

I love Vegan lunchbox too.
I love how creative her food for schmoo is. The little bees were so cute
and I love the idea of a veggie dog in a cornmeal twinkie

I am no longer a vegetarian. I had some health issues among other things. I am adding more meat free foods like beans back into my diet.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge More blogs about iportion.