Thursday, October 05, 2006

To Journal or Not

I've been thinking about this a lot. I saw a trendy new diet which promised I never
had to journal again a few months ago. I will admit it sounded tempting but I knew for me it would not work.
Then I read on one of my favorite blogs The Amazing Shrinking Mom about not wanting to journal forever. It's a well written blog and I love it.

You can lose an maintain without journaling but journaling makes you a lot more accountable. Most people stop journaling they claim they are bored but truth be told they cannot stand what the journal says. You cannot lie to the journal. It knows you ate six extra extra slices of bread with butter even if you didn’t write it.


I remember a fellow weight watchers member pulling me over and telling me “Wouldn’t it be great if you just didn’t need weight watchers anymore.” I was worried about moving from my meetings. I had to be honest to her and myself. I’d gain the weight back.
I know I’d gain the weight back and then some. It’s not a little weight but to some people that ten to 15 pounds might see as hard as my 100 plus.
Keeping the 100 plus pounds off is worth journaling. Not feeling crushed under my own body weight is worth journaling. I even journal now after I lost and had to regain some.

I find that when I journal my house keeping with the flylady program I am opt to keep flying. Why can’t I do this. I am afraid I will stop journaling food next. Journaling food is important.


Many people can lose weight on most diets but journaling though it seems boring and hard is the easiest thing you can do for yourself. You need to reward yourself with prizes just for journaling and you have to make journaling work for you than do so. I use pen and paper but some people take photos, swap cards, use beads, bracelets . If you can’t stand journaling in your old way find a new way and if that doesn’t work after two weeks go back to the old standby,


the National Weight Control Registry stresses the importance of journaling food intake
The ABCs of Weight Loss We've got 26 tips to help you succeed.
http://onhealth.webmd.com/weight_loss/article.htm

5 Comments:

Blogger Authentic Woman said...

Thanks for your motivation.
I have just started today.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Melodee said...

I think journaling is really important when you are following Weight Watchers. I'm glad, though, that I found a weight loss plan that allows me to lose weight without journaling. ;)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

Flower Damozel I wish you all the luck in the world no matter what eating plan you're on.

Mel I hope you get to goal and maintain.


I had to modify WW to work for me though due to my binge eating. I count most zero point foods sept for freash veggies.



I also count oatmeal as two points per serving even if I eat two to for servings in a sitting.
When I was doing well with deal a meal I just moved cards around and didn't write things down per say but I still think that as journaling.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

To me journalling about my weightloss journey keeps it in my mind. it is too easy to get caught up in the every day job of being a mom and a wife. A journal which every day reminds me that I am taking care of myself as well as my daughter and my husband is important. I know I wouldn't be able to keep this up with journalling.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, I would never want to live like that for the rest of my life. I'd rather learn intuitive eating: eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm not, and never deal with dieting ever again.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge More blogs about iportion.