Monday, August 07, 2006

Iportion’s Fast Food Challenge

Iportion’s Fast Food Challenge
VH Melville

Update: Arindana made a cute little button for anyone who wants to post the challenge on their blog. http://arindana.blogspot.com/


When fast food joints try to sell healthy food only 10% of the population or less buys it. If you want these places to serve healthy food try buying it. They will sell it if we buy it. Are we responsible?
Unlike other fast food challenges this is not banning fast food for a year or a week or a month. You can still eat fast food on this challenge. Yes you heard me right. This challenge is until Valentines Day 2007 but if anyone wants to continue by all means.
I go out to eat once a week you may go out once a week, once a month, twice a month if you have a busy job and need to eat out at fast food places three to five times a week you can do so. You chose the amount that is reasonable and doable for you,

Rules
1. Respond and tell me you’re joining. You may invite friends to join you or go it alone. Share your tips, experiences and what you ate with us even if the post is not about the challenge per say. I will learn from you and you will learn from me.
2. Look up your favorite places on the internet like calorieking or and check the nutrition on the websites. Email fast food places if the food is not listed. . Do you really want to eat at a chain restaurant that cares so little about your needs that they won’t provide basic information? Mom and pop places don’t have the resources of the big chains so you can eat there but choose wisely and small places sometimes make substitutions.
3. Journal what you eat and follow your eating plan the best you can. Don’t beat yourself up, make it fun. You reward yourself for the first day with a non food reward. Then you reward yourself for week one. Then each month you give yourself another reward. Gifts can be from the dollar tree or from Amazon. You set your prizes to fit your budget.
4. Exercise if you’re able to: Exercise for 15 minutes a day 2 to 5 days a week. Exercise can be walking, swimming, chair dancing, weights, Yourself Fitness, DDR, VHS tapes, DVDs . If you exercise give yourself another monthly reward.
Why join this challenge?
We’ll be banding together making better food choices and having fun. We’ll be showing food places there is a market for healthy food. It will teach us not to feel so guilty about food and it will empower us. Besides rewarding ourselves is fun.


TIPS
These tips are not hard rules they are just ideas just help us along. You may share your own.
1. Some food that looks healthy isn’t. The Market fresh sandwiches is one of the unhealthiest sandwiches Arby’s sells. The roast beef is actually a better option
2. Try new foods. If you like Taco bell try the Fresco menu. If you like Wendy’s try the grilled chicken or a small chili. Try your subway sandwich on the warp or 6. You might want to avoid the Atkins dressings even if you’re on a low carb diet.
3. If you want a hamburger go for the small one or even the children’s meal. If they won’t sell the children’s meal to you don’t buy from them. Get a small side salad to add volume.
4. If you want pizza opt for thin crust or a personal pizza. Ask for them to put half the cheese that they normally put on pizza. Share the personal pizza with a friend and eat a large salad.
5. If you really want a Big and Tasty have it with the side salad and light dressing count the calories of your food for the day or if you do WW use your flex points for it. Maybe eat half and bring the rest tomorrow.
6. Now if you want to have something really high in calories you can do so just plan for it. Some people plan a free day or use extra flex points but be award of what you’re eating.
7. If you want Caesar salad bring your own dressing and ask the place to give you a light dressing. Save the dressing light for later. Avoid croutons all together. Do you really want all your calories from bits stale bread? I’d rather have chocolate. Avoid breaded meats in salad or sandwich. Anything Tuna usually has lots of mayo in it. Have the place hold the mayo. Always check the dressings. Some dressings can add hundreds of calories.
8. If places sell more then one kind of diet drinks buy them. Caffeine can make some people hungry. You want them to know you’ll buy more if they offer.
9. You can eat out once or twice a week or more if you want to. I think once is perfect but some people have busy jobs they need to eat out more often.
10. Eat the side salad instead of the fries.
11. Go out for frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.

12 Comments:

Blogger Bex said...

This is a wonderful challenge!! I am definitely in!
As a treat, I like the Wendy's Turkey and Swiss Frescata, I am learning to skip the mayo. It's less than 480 calories...if you skip the mayo and even less if you skip the cheese and substitute your own lower cal cheese. It's definitely a filling sandwich. Yum!
I hope you are doing well :)
xoxo
B

2:21 PM  
Blogger Arindana said...

What an awesome challenge! I'd love to take this challenge!

In fact, when my calorie counters support group (like TOPS) reconvenes in September, I'm going to put this challenge to them too. I often weigh in and do the meeting and then I'm in the drive-thru at McDonald's because I don't want to cook. I've trimmed my choices at least. I have gone from a Big Mac Meal Extra Size to a regular size and now I only get a junior chicken. (deep fried but still smaller and better than the whole meal I had been choosing.)

May I offer my help? Would you like a button made up so that people in the challenge can post it on their blogs with a link back to your challenge? Let me know :) I'm happy to do it!

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Iportion, Thanks for the v&c. I never get bored at your site, it is always poppin. I'm not one for commitments, that's why I don't stick to much of anything. Keep up the encouraging information. Soon someone will be able to attribute their loss to your support. God Bless you.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thats a fantastic challenge, iPortion! After the grandfather's birthday is past, I might join in with you, since I buy fast food quite often having to spend so much time at University and there being so many food outlets on campus/just off campus.

Just another thing, I replied to your question on my blog - I'm also gonna paste what I wrote here.

Chocolate Chippies are basically a cheap chocolate chip cookie manufactured by a New Zealand biscuit company called Griffins.

For a better idea of what they are, check out the site.

Hope that you're feeling better!

5:03 PM  
Blogger TrixieBelden said...

Count me in! I love a challenge.

If I do fast food its usually Chipotle - I get the 3 chicken soft tacos with the mild tomato salsa and the corn - no cheese, sour cream or guacamole.

Thanks for the tips!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The challenge and the tips are great. Now I have all justification I need to start visiting the "forbidden" territory ruled by fast food joints. It seems there is a fast food vibe in the air. I recently finished a piece on fast food dieting. Maybe the reason only 10% buy healthy food at fast food joints because we don’t really want to see them there. It is almost like trying to sell non-alcoholic beverages at a liquor store.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Arindana said...

For me at a fast food restaurant is a) wanting that fat more than the better stuff, b) not really always liking the choices on the healtheir menu and c) often its price (in relation to amount you get - you want your dollar to stretch to the max).

10:25 PM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

Marshmallow thanks for the info
Becky thanks for joining
Arindana thank you so very much I just got the botton and it's so cute. Email me your blog link.
TrixieBelden what a cute name
Ifitandhealthy you made a great point.
Think of the fat, well maybe next time.
Thank you all I hope that this is a lot of fun.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

I would love to join, I am not quite sure I get the rules. I am a little tired this morning. Are we agreeing to eat a fast food place, pick something healthy and then keep track? sorry, I just want to be clear.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

Yes TC
that's it if we choose once a month to go to fast food or once a week we make choices that work with our healthy eating plan.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Arindana said...

I got to thinking today in the shower, what if I want pizza? is that considered fast food becuase it's high in fat? Or is it ok if we have just one slice as opposed to more than that? I think that in a case like that if you eat one slice and balance it with a salad that would be ok. But if you get a meal deal somewhere then that's not ok.

Oh and be very careful on what you do order that you think is healthy. Sometimes its worse than those fast food offenders. I.e. Wendy's salads are worse than a quarter pounder with cheese!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

cool than I am in!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge More blogs about iportion.