Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Bad Eating Cycle
VH Melville
I ate some hi fat foods as a child but that’s not what caused me to be unhealthy. I didn’t start gaining weight until I was ten. A relative started to bribe us with junk food and get mad at us if we didn’t eat all our food at restaurants. Also around this time a trauma happened to me.

1. Have you taken Diet Pills? Remember advertising lies. Some diet pill companies and diets will take a normal sized person put them on a special gaining diet and take “their before picture” Then the person will resume normal eating lose the weight and the company will take the “After Picture”.

2. Many of us have been on crash diets only to binge again.

3. I think crash diets and pills lower the amount of people’s success rate of losing and keeping it off. Remember the average diet is 20% successes rate. Diets with breakfast journaling do better in the long run than diets without.

4. I also think banning all junk food and treats does more harm than good. I think Morgan Spulock got it wrong with his joke about punching his kid every time they pass a fast food. That child will know how to rebel by sneaking out to fast food restruarnts. It was the same thing the person in my family who yelled at me for not eating all my restraint food calling me a money waster. What about doggie bags? Forcing kids is not the answer being a good example is. If you don’t want TV ads of junk food get rid of basic cable and join Netflix. You can get news on the net.

6 Comments:

Blogger rach said...

I started putting on weight when I was around 17. I was a huge comfort eater back then (still am to some degree) and put on 15 kilos in one year! That may not seem like much compared to how much I ended up putting on in total, but bad eating habits were formed in that year that were really difficult to break.

I didn't do diet pills (mostly because I couldn't afford them, otherwise I would've tried them too!)...but I tried a range of different diets which all seemed to 'work' at one point or another...but then I'd regain the weight back - and more! I think the reason I gained all that weight back was because I felt I was being deprived on each of those diets. I've only just learnt now...after 10 years of trying to lose weight (half-heartedly)...that MODERATION is the key. You may not lose the weight as quickly as you would like, but at least you have a much better chance of keeping it off if you know that no food is forbidden! You just have to make smarter choices.

Well, at least that's what I'm trying to do :)

9:25 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I know exactly how that is - the more my mom would "deprive" us of snacks and junk food, the more I would sneak out and buy it for myself. Diet pills never worked for me, I can't stand the way they make me feel - all jittery ...

Good luck to you!

10:35 PM  
Blogger BarbaraMG said...

I was raised in the generation, "Waste not, want not!" I am trying to raise my kids to eat healthy foods then throw away any junk if they are not hungry.

11:37 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Thanks for visiting my blog..
I also believe that moderation is the key and smaller portions of food.I went to live in the states for 5 years from new zealand and I couldnt believe the size of the meals over there!! The first meal I asked for in a resturant was a fish sandwich and I was appalled to see that it covered the whole plate and I didnt even know where to start! There was no salad,only thickly creamy coleslaw and heaps of fries...I usually would eat a piece of fish with some crunchy lettuce salad and in the 5 years I lived there I put on 10lb!

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted here at a friends house around 2:20 pm and now I am home and don't see the post? Thanks for the v&c. I didn't write the joke. I agree with you on almost everything you write. We think a lot alike. Why can't I have the control and weight loss you have accomplished? I believe it is due to the hidden fact I must not want it bad enough. Journaling does work for me, which I need to get back to. Good luck and Bless you.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Askazombiehousewife said...

Seinna moderation is a great idea. People need healthy eating plans they can actually do.

Michelle I was ounce put on a fruit in the morning diet as a teen. I rebled from the word go and grumbled for three days. I love fruit for breakfast but the thought of fruit only for breakfast made me want to have a sandwich.


Barbara
I seem to waste less food now I am eating healthy.
A lot of people don't realize that un-iced cupcakes, rice,
and some chocolates freeze as well.

butterflies
Yes portions are way to big. Of course we end up eating them. Then we think that’s normal. Applebee’s has a WW menu now and some people complain when they see the food it’s too small before they eat it. It’s not diet food exactly just the right portions. Afterword many people who tried it feel satisfied instead of stuffed and then realize how much they were eating before.
Some restaurants will give out doggie bags a head of time so you can have your meal there. Also Some restaurants will allow you to eat off the child’s menu but they might add a fee for it.

Thinkofthefat
Hi it’s always lovely to here from you. I thought I posted your response but I am not sure.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge More blogs about iportion.