Friday, July 21, 2006

Real Reasons Why People are Overweight

Real Reasons Why People are Overweight
VH Melville

We all know weight gain is you consume more calories than you burn but there are complications as I call them.


Comfort: Sometimes we eat for comfort.

Lack of Exercising: Jobs that require sitting for long pireds time. Not walking.

Thyroid Problems: This weight problem will resolve itself once medication is under control. Most people do not have problems with Thyroids.

Mind Fat: Are you really Overweight? Do you need to lose weight in the first place? You might be at a healthy weight or a few pounds over but your mind see yourself as fatter. You still are welcomed here.

Eating Disorders: Bulimics are often not the thin people you see in movies many bulimics are over weight obese and morbidly obese and super morbidly obese due to the binge/purge aspects of the disease. If you feel you have an eating disorder seek help. I was not bulimic but had acid reflux and did not know it. The acid reflux did not keep me thin.

Crash Dieting and Depredation related binges: When we deprive ourselves we can go into binges and regain all are weight and then some back.

Abuse: Some people have been abused and have food issues as result, this is not an excuse. If you are one who suffers from this get real therapy and seek out help. What if the person your making fun of for being fatter than you was a rape victim who sees no way out but food.

Supplemented Themselves fat: Many people who had only a little lose use supplements as a quick fix. Supplements and diet pills can make it harder to lose next time and they are harder to maintain with. They get bigger each time they find a pill.

They Give up due to the 5% Myth: 20% of people on diets keep the weight off not 5%. Weight watchers is slightly higher than the 20% and crash diets are lower. A lot of diets make you lose weight but they will not magically keep the weight off. You must slowly add food back but keep up your diet and journaling. The 5% myth was because of a small, old and debunked study. I think we can get the 20% numbers even higher.


Strict Food Parenting: Some people had such strict food parenting “You eat what I say you eat” that it makes them prone to binge eat but it is also theory to ruin a person’s hunger regulation. They can’t tell when they’re not hungry anymore.

Excuses: Do you fool yourself in believing you are eating far healthier than you are? We can gain weight eating really healthy food if we eat a ton of it. You might drink 400 calories of soda or day. You might be eating four five serving of cereal and counting it as one.

Sabotaging Family members: Sometimes people in are families do try to sabotage us but sometimes they really do want an ice cream.

Label and Portion Underestimating: Do you read the labels? Do you measure your food?
Many people get so comfortable when they eye ball three cups of pasta they journal it as one. They are not being honest with themselves,
Do you look at the back of candy bars many candy bars that look like they are one serving are two or three.

They Are Happy Fat: They don’t want to lose: Some people are happy the way the are and just don’t want to get lean. It’s their choice not anyone else’s. You cannot and should not force people to lose weight.

If you want to lose weight, find out what’s wrong and seek out real help.

5 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize I related to so many of them.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

An excellent post! I have figured out why I have become overweight, and its a combination of little-kid-wants-attention thing and some incorrect education about my body when experiencing puberty. I thrashed this all out by writing a post on my blog about it, and I'm really glad that I did since understanding how you got there is a good way of seeing that you didn't just 'become overweight' and thus, you won't just 'become skinny'.

I'm really glad you posted about this! This understanding about yourself is crucial in becoming a healthier person.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...many bulimics are over weight obese and morbidly obese and super morbidly obese due to the binge/purge aspects of the disease."

I think this is the first time that I've seen this acknowledged anywhere. Thank you for that.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Marathon Someday said...

Thanks for this post! I'm starting to realize how complex one's relationship to food can be - and this really hits the nail on the head.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(My second try for a comment.) Hi Iportion, Thanks for the v&c to my site. Leave it to you to always say the right thing for a good example. I don't know why I tend to pick on myself. Yes I like a lot of foods that are triggers for me but I also like a lot of healthy foods. I love oatmeal, fruits, vegetables, juices, and 7 whole grain breads, rice cakes are a satisfying snack for me. It is that exercise I need to get back into, after I heal. You post as if you have intervied every one on a weight improvement journey. You never skip a been there done that, that throws a monkey wrench into the best laid plans. God Bless you.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge More blogs about iportion.